1. The library functions from 10.00 a.m. to 5.45 p.m. on all the working days. It is closed on Saturdays, Sundays and other Government holidays.
2. All the present students of the Dr. Ambedkar Government Law College, Chennai are entitled to use the library. Readers desirous of using the library have to write legibly in the Gate Register their names and classes to whichthey belong and sign the register. Such signatures shall be an acknowledgment, that the persons agree to confirm to the rules of the Library.
3. Personal belongings like umbrellas, hats, bags, brief cases etc. shall be left at the depository near the counter. Personal books or library books already borrowed or any printed materials should be left at the depository. Files are not allowed inside the library and if for some reason, they have to be taken inside, such file should be made available for inspection by the assistant at the counter while leaving the library.
4. The library consists of five sections :
a. Consulting Section
b. Journal Section
c. Lending Section
d. Book Bank
e. SC/ST Book Bank
f. M.L section
CONSULTING SECTION :
5. Encyclopedia, Dictionaries and other kinds of books which are in constant demand, costly books and other books as may from time to time be considered necessary for ready reference are kept in this section. Reference books shall not be lent but will be made available for consultation in the Library.
6. The borrowers shall promptly return the books, periodicals and Law Reports to the Record Clerk before they leave the room. Any lapse on the part of the student will result in forfeiture of the Library facility.
LENDING SECTION :
7. All books except those marked “Reference” belong to the lending section.
8. Each student can borrow only one book at a time on each ticket.
9. After admission to the college, each student will be provided with two library tickets. One book will be issued to a student in exchange for each ticket which will be handed over to him when the returns the books. If the book is returned after the due date the ticket will be handed over only after the over-due charge is paid.
10. Applications for books in the prescribed form containing the name of the author, title of the book, the name and class of the student and date, should be filed in the respective pinfiles before 10-15 a.m. by the morning session students and 2.15 p.m. by the afternoon session students on the day the books are required. The book will be issued from 10.30 a.m. to 11.45 a.m. and from 2.15 p.m. to 4.00 p.m. respectively.
11. Books should be returned before 10.30 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. by the morning and afternoon session students respectively.
12. To avoid disappointment in getting the books applie for students are advised to write on the back of their application forms names of two or more alternative books required by them in the order of preference.
13. If a book falls due on a working day and remains un-returned, fine will accrue for all the working days on which the book has been retained. But if the due date happens to be a holiday for the college, it may be returned on the next working day without fine. If the due date however falls on holidays, the book shall be returned before such holidays.
14. Books in this section may be borrowed for a period of three weeks and shall be returned on the date last marked on the due date slip on the front page of each book. For default in return of books on the due date, over-due charge at the rate of Rs. 2/- per day will be levied on each book.
15. A student against whom any fine or other charges are outstanding will not be permitted to borrow books from the Library till all the arrears have been paid:
16. Absence from the college will not be admitted as an excuse for delay in the return of books.
17. Books that are in great demand may be lent for such shorter period as may be necessary, and books lent out may be recalled at any time, if required, and the borrowers are found to return them as required by the Librarian.
18. On no account students are permitted to borrow on others’ tickets.
19. Students are prohibited from sub-lending the books.
20. Books may be renewed for a further period of three weeks provided.
a) the renewal applications is made two days before the due date and
b) no other student has applied for the book in the meantime
c) in case a book requisitioned by a student is not available readily, he can apply for reservation of the book for himself.
21. Any marking, underlining or tearing of pages from books is forbidden and missing of pages will entail payment of the cost of the Book or more as per the directions of the Principal.
22. The borrower, before leaving the counter, must satisfy himself as to whether the books lent out are in good condition. Any damage to book should be immediately reported to the Librarian failing which the student to whom the book was issued will be held responsible for the replacement of the book by a good copy.
23. If a book is lost, the student shall be called upon to replace the book by a good copy or to pay five times the cost there of or more as per the directions of the Principal. Otherwise the Transfer certificate will not be issued to the student.
24. When a particular volume of a set of books is lost or damaged the student should replace the volume or pay the value of the whole set.
25. Students shall be responsible for the borrower’s tickets issued to them. Loss of tickets should be reported to the Librarian. Duplicate tickets will be issued one month after the date of report on payment of Rs. 10 (rupees ten) per ticket, and the student shall be responsible for any loss or non-return of books issued to him against his original or duplicate borrower’s tickets.
26. The Principal, may at his discretion, withdraw the privilege of the college library to any student who fails to return the book in time or fails to pay the fines, imposed, or misbehaves in the library.
27. Those who have consumed any intoxicating substance shall not enter the Library. If any one is found to be in a drunken state in the Library premises, criminal complaint will be lodged and disciplinary action will also be taken.
28. Smoking within the Library premises is strictly prohibited. Any breach in this regard will entail disciplinary action.
29. All library fines must be paid to the Librarian before the end of the week during which the fine is notified. Library books will not be issued to those who owe fines.
30. Periodicals should in no case be removed from the reading room (consulting section)
31. Students causing any damage to any periodical shall be required to make good the loss and be subjected to further disciplinary action.
32. Strict silence and decorum should be observed in the library. Students shall not cause any nuisance to others by way of using mobile phone inside the library.
33. All the library books borrowed from the lending section and Book Bank Scheme and on the library tickets shall be returned to the library on the last working day of the academic year or any other date notified by the Principal since the books will not be issued after the date. If the books are not returned, over-due charges at the rate of Rs. 2/- per book per day will be levied after the last working day. If a student fails to return the books on or before the last working day, his failure will be treated as a case of misconduct and he will not be permitted to appear for University Examinations.
34. The students shall pay along with their tuition fees the prescribed library caution deposit which will be refunded at the time of leaving the college after clearing library dues, if any. Identity cards
35. Identity cards will be issued to the students on the production of first term fee receipt. They must affix their recent passport size photograph and get the Principal’s signature and office seal, They must give their native address in full. They shall submit the identity card to the Library. Library tickets will be given after a week.
36. Duplicate Identity card will be issued to the student on payment of Rs. 50/- (Fifty only) and the same may be collected from the Librarian after 30 days from the date of application in this regard.